Us at the "Gut"

Us at the "Gut"

Monday, March 22, 2010

March 21st 2010 - Kitchen Cabinet

Well I had some time this afternoon and evening so I thought that I would get started on the cabinet for the kitchen. This will be an upper cabinet that will be attached to the wall above the "wash station". I had some tongue and groove pine left over from a home reno, as well as some wood that I recovered from the landfill. The cabinet will be 3 feet tall by 4 feet wide with one shelf at 18" in the middle.
Here is what I started with:
















The wood was quite greyed from sitting and weathering so I used an electric planner that I bought at an auction for $1 and stripped the grey off. I then used a belt sander with 50 grit paper to remove the planner marks, then followed up with a palm sander with 80 grit then to 120.





























I completed the 3 main pieces as described above. The wood that I had as the supports had a bit of a finish on them, so I just sanded them with 80 grit and then 120 to remove the finish. Here is the cabinet starting to come together:





























I attached the pine tongue and groove with my braid nailer and was really happy with the way it turned out. Here is the cabinet as it sits today waiting for a bit more sanding and then a nice semi gloss finish is planned.












































I will update pictures as I get into the finishing of the cabinet. I think it turned out exactly as I had pictured in my head. This should provide us with some much needed storage space for food and dishes.
I just hope that it looks good in the cabin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment